This week we’re continuing our “play” series by talking with sex radical, feelings-witch and facilitator Carly Boyce. Carly tells me what play means in kink communities, and then we delve into consent culture, queer family, the relationship between power and sex, and a whole lot more. Want to read more about any of these topics? Here are some links!
- Carly writes an incredible tarot column for GUTS magazine that literally makes me cry whenever I read it, and you should read it too.
- While you’re at it, go check out Carly’s Instagram, which is full of tarot wisdom, knitting, and good dogs.
- We talk about what the Aziz Ansari article taught us about consent culture (aka how little vocabulary patriarchal society has for consent) and here’s a great article that unpacks some of that.
- Don’t know what homonationalism is? Here’s a primer.
- And here’s some more about whiteness in kink and poly communities and how it intersects with class and wealth.
- The speaker who talked about sex in queer studies was Robyn Wiegman, and she’s published an article on the topic called “Sex and Negativity; or, What Queer Theory Has for You” (which I’m pretty sure is paywalled–if you can’t access it let me know and we’ll figure something out).
- Finally, here’s that article I mentioned about trans drag queens talking back to RuPaul, including the iconic line: “The primary tenet of drag is turning gender into a fart joke.”
Secret Feminist Agenda is recorded on the traditional and unceded territories of the Squamish, Musqueam, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.