We’re officially done the “play” miniseries and so it’s time to put away childish things and focus on Very Serious Topics like Poetry jk poetry is hilarious and this episode is very funny. Join Beni Xiao and Tin Lorica as we talk about poetry and feelings and also feelings and also poetry. Oh, and also community and mentorship and genre and, briefly, a cat. Here are some things to read / mostly just a list of poets!
- Most importantly, if you want to buy Beni’s book, Bad Egg, you can do that here. And then go buy everything Rahila’s Ghost has published because poetry chapbook presses are great.
- If you’re Vancouver-based you should definitely know about the Real Vancouver Writers’ Series and Poetry Is Bad For You. If you’re not in Vancouver, tweet at me about your favourite local poetry reading series or venue!
- In addition to small presses and live readings, magazines are a great way to get your poetry fix! Beni mentions being rejected by Poetry is Dead, for example. (Btw anyone else really want this tote to hold their poems and feelings?) But also if you follow the links below you will find so many other excellent sites for poetry-reading!
- Here are some of the poets Beni and Tin recommended. Please note each of these links is to ONE OR MORE POEMS. Read some poems! Samantha Marie Nock, Dina Del Bucchia, Amber Dawn, Billeh Nickerson, Aja Moore, Kayla Czaga, Adèle Barclay, Liz Bachinsky, and Kimmy Walters. Poems!
- And finally, an article on Rupi Kaur because you can’t talk about poetry in Canada with talking about Rupi Kaur.
The podcast theme song is “Mesh Shirt” by Mom Jeans off their album “Chub Rub.” Listen to the whole album here or learn more about them here. Beni and Tin’s theme song is “Run Away With Me” by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Secret Feminist Agenda is recorded on the traditional and unceded territories of the Squamish, Musqueam, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.